Start a blog with HostGator!
Are you thinking about starting a blog for your business or individual? But don’t know how to start? No worries, we are here to help you out about starting a blog in easy steps. Do you want to start a blog in the right way? If yes, then it’s for you.
In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know to start a blog without any technical knowledge. We’ll show you what platform as well as Hosting to use for blogging, how to build your blog, and then how to set it up so that you can start writing your first post! Here, we’ll show you the steps about how to start a blog with HostGator just in few minutes!
You are just a few minutes away to start your blog with HostGator.
So, let’s get started!
Step 1 & 2: Choose Your Plan
It’s way easy to purchase a domain and hosting from HostGator. Let’s walk through the signup steps very quickly. First, click on the hostgator.com to get started and you will get a 60% discount if you follow our link and use worldoop as promo code. Click on Get Started to proceed to checkout. This plan will contain everything your blog will need in terms of web hosting for the next few years. Take a look at the screenshot below!
Step 3: Choose Your Domain (URL)
Now, type your awesome domain name along with your preferred extension from the right drop-down feature (.com, .org, .net) that you wish to register. It’s important to pick a good domain name. A good domain name is very important for your blog. Have a look at the screenshot below.
Step 4: Confirm Your Hosting Plan
Now, choose a web hosting plan (package type). Keep it on Hatchling (which should be selected by default) as this is a great initial plan. We also recommend keeping it 36 months for the billing cycle as you’ll save the most and can still cancel at any time. Put a strong username and security PIN according to their instructions. Look at the image below.
Step 5: Account Information
After that, you will be required to fill the billing information in detail which straight forward. Do it very carefully. Please, recheck the billing information once you have filled up the billing information.
Step 6: Uncheck all the “Additional Services”, you don’t need them right now
Afterward, you’ll land to the section with additional services. Uncheck all of them as these are addons that your blog probably won’t need yet. You can always add these on later if you wish. So, Uncheck all of the addons – they are nice to have but not needed right now.
Step 7: Check the “I have read” Checkbox and click “Checkout Now!”
Then, confirm all your information on the page, select the Terms of Service box and click on the Checkout Now! button (See the screenshot beneath). You now have web hosting and a domain name! Now let’s prep your web hosting account and get it ready for WordPress!
Step 8: ‘Welcome’ message – HostGator!
You will get a ‘Welcome’ message in few moments like the screenshot below!
Step 9: Control Panel (cPanel) Login and Password
After doing all the things stated above, you will get an email in your mail inbox. You will be provided detail information including control panel login and password. See the screenshot below!
Step 10: Control Panel login and (cPanel) dashboard
Now, you have logged in cPanel which is also known as Control Panel.
Step 11: WordPress
Here, you will see a number of special offers. You will click on ‘Get Started With WordPress Today’. Look at the below screenshot.
Step 12: Install WordPress for Free!
WordPress is like furniture you are adding to your house. It makes it more pretty, comfortable, and livable. WordPress is the actual tool that lets us launch a blog on the Domain (URL) we just purchased.
Scroll down to “Special Offers” on the HostGator page and select the “Get Started With WordPress Today” button.
Step 13: Fill the required credentials
You can change this later so don’t worry.
Admin email: Your Email Address
Blog Title: “My Blog” shows up here (can change later):
See the screenshot below!
Click install and then go to the next step in this article. Look, you can choose a theme from the ‘Find A Theme’ button. No problem, you can change it later.
Step 14: Wait for a few seconds and look at the ‘BIG’ orange bar
Depending on the internet speed, this step might take 1-2 minutes. Don’t panic unless you still see nothing after 3 minutes.
Once you see the big orange bar, click “View Credentials”. Write this information down or copy it into a document. Click the “Admin Area” link.
(NOTE: Admin area link won’t show anything for several minutes – go taking a cup of coffee, and then come back)
And see Mojo email –
Congratulations! WordPress is installed on your web server and you can officially manage your first blog! You can check and verify this by going to your domain name and viewing it.
In the beginning, your blog will be set up by default with a theme. But you can change it at any time. It’s a very basic blog with a basic design, but WordPress is highly customizable and this brings us to the next step – which involves the final step, setting it up!
Step 15: Set Up & Customize Your Blog
The final step is to set up and customizes your blog. You’ll need to login to your WordPress’ back-end administration to do this. Simply type “your-site/wp-admin”. For example:
If you’ve just finished your WordPress installation from the step above, you can simply click the orange Login button from the installation complete screenshot. HostGator will also email you instructions on how to login to your WordPress site/blog.
Login to WordPress
When you log in to WordPress, you’ll first explore the Dashboard page. These are all parts/features of the back-end or administration side of WordPress. Like a control panel, you can edit all of your blog’s posts and settings here. The dashboard page looks like this. See the WordPress Dashboard below how it looks like!
The administration of WordPress may seem complicated at first sight but you’ll need to get familiar with it and learn how to use it. This will take some time. On the left side, you’ll see the main navigation menu (shown vertically above) that provides you with everything you need to set up and customize your blog. Let’s quickly discuss this:
- Dashboard – This is the default landing page that you’re taken to whenever you login to WordPress.
- Posts – This is where you go to manage your blog’s posts. You can add, delete, and edit every post of your blog from here.
- Media – From here you can manage your images. You can upload images and manage existing images that were previously uploaded.
- Pages – This is where you go to manage your blog’s pages. Just like posts, you can add, delete, and edit all your pages from here.
- Comments – From here you can manage your blog’s comments. You can view every comment added on your blog to approve, edit, or delete them.
- Appearance – This is where you go to manage your blog’s appearance. WordPress uses themes, which are basically like templates that change the design of your blog.
- Plugins – This is where you go to manage your WordPress plugins. WordPress Plugins add additional features and functionality to your blog. They are very powerful and beneficial and can greatly enhance your blog’s functionality. Note that you’ll find numerous plugins already added to your WordPress installation. HostGator, along with many other web hosts, pick and choose certain plugins that they feel will be beneficial to your site. You can of course, deactivate and delete these plugins and choose your own.
- Users – This is where you go to manage your blog’s users. By default, there should only be one user, yourself. And your user account should have admin roles applied. However, if you want to have other people writing and posting to your blog, you can create an account for them under here.
- Tools – This is where you go for certain advanced features that you most likely won’t need yet.
- Settings – Lastly, this is where you go to manage your WordPress settings. There’s a variety of settings you can tweak from here.
Eventually, Your blog is ready. It’s time to actually put your fingers to keyboard and start blogging on your own way!
That’s all for today. Hope you liked this article about how to start a blog with HostGator. If you liked please share it with your friends and near ones.