*Study in Portugal is a wise decision for them who wish to live and study at an affordable cost.
Portugal is a southern European country on the Iberian Peninsula, bordering Spain. Its location on the Atlantic Ocean has influenced many aspects of its culture: salt cod and grilled sardines are national dishes, the Algarve’s beaches are a major destination and much of the nation’s architecture dates to the 1500s–1800s when Portugal had a powerful maritime empire. It’s one of the Schengen countries in Europe. Portugal is the 4th safest country to live according to the global index.
Official language: Portuguese
Area: 92,212 km2
Education quality and system:
To Study in Portugal, you should know about its educational conditions. The quality of education in Portugal is good. Portuguese degrees are widely accepted. There are a bunch of top-ranked universities in Portugal. Among them, the University of Lisbon, University of Porto, University of Coimbra and Catholic University of Portugal are well known for its education and research. Universities offer two languages taught programs such as Portuguese and English. Generally, Bachelor’s programs are 3-year programs and Masters are 1-2 year programs and PhD 3-5 year.
The primary condition for entering studies is the successful completion of the previous level of study(certificate of graduation from a secondary school for Bachelor’s (3 years) and long-cycle Master’s degree programmes (5-6 years); Bachelor’s degree for a follow-up Master’s; Master’s degree for a Doctoral study programme).
The minimum entry requirements usually include a completed and submitted application, proof of the admission procedure fee payment and compliance with the conditions for the specific study program (e.g. letter of motivation, letter of recommendation, portfolio, English proficiency test).
International Students need recognition of their academic documents. For recognition, check here: Academic Documents Recognition
IN PUBLIC HIGHER EDUCATION:
– Technical professional higher education courses – CtesP (short cycle), Licenciatura (1st cycle) and Mestrados integrados: tuition fees are established in accordance with the law. For indicative purposes, for the academic year 2017/2018, the maximum amount was of 1,068.47€.
– Other Master’s (2nd cycles) and PhD (3rd cycles): tuition fees are established by each higher education institution.
– International students: tuition fees are established by each higher education institution.
IN PRIVATE HIGHER EDUCATION: the higher education institutions establish the tuition fees and other charges to be paid by the students.
#Find your program: Here
Required Documents for admission:
- successful completion of the previous level of study(certificate of graduation from a secondary school for Bachelor’s (3 years) and long-cycle Master’s degree programs (5-6 years); Bachelor’s degree for a follow-up Master’s; Master’s degree for a Doctoral study program)
- Letter of motivation
- Letter of recommendation
- English proficiency test
N.B.: It differs from university to university. Therefore, check the university’s website for specific information.
You should check out the individual university’s website to know about the application deadline.
There are different ways to fund your studies. Besides the possibility of finding a part-time job or scholarships, other options to think of can be institutions’ support programs and student loans. Check here: Finding Fund
Citizens of European Union (EU)/ European Economic Area (EEA)/Switzerland: EU citizens and those from Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland only need a valid identity card/passport to enter Portugal.
Citizens of other countries: The requests for information and/or visa should be made to the Portuguese Embassies or Consulates of the respective area of residence:
It is recommended that the request for the study visa is made at the Portuguese Consulate or Embassy at least 2 months before the planned date to leave for Portugal.
Required Documents for Visa Application:
- Passport or other documents for travelling that has a validity of at least 3 months more than the visa
- Passport type photos
- Criminal record
- International health insurance
- Proof of accommodation
- Vaccination records
- Proof of admission in a higher education institution/ invitation letter
- Proof of means of subsistence
Work during study: